Thursday, March 03, 2005

Bishop house


Bishop house
Originally uploaded by dieselboi.
I was walking past this building and thought...hmmm what's the scoop on that. The Bishop House is essentially segregated away from everything around it. To the west is a small bookstore(not attached) and to the east is a parking lot. Presently, the Bishop house building is occupied by Al Amir, a lebanese restaurant with strong oregon ties.
Sometimes, I wander through downtown and look upward to the buildings. In NY, I would be immediately pegged as a tourist and a target. Here? Maybe, I guess that could happen, but as Puddletown is my town, I don't think about that. What I do think about is - what goes on in that building? and, I create little scenarios as to the activities going on. I use my imagination and let loose.

Bishop House - originally build to house the Pope if an when he visited Portland in the late 1800s. When it was determined that the Pope would not visit, the building was then made available for anyone to use. A secret sect named the Templars (locally known as the Templaristics) took over the ownership of the building, creating a primary location for other Templars to come visit and grab a couch for a sleepover. It was an exciting time and all enjoyed the free waffle breakfasts the templars offered. They were the first to offer preserves with waffles, opening a new frontier in breakfast adventures. A defector of the templar sect eventually freed himself of the emotional baggage and opened the 24hr Pancake house on SE Powell Blvd. What a wonderful man.
Others ventured outside the fold to assist in the growth of Portland.
Obviously, some, if not all of the above diatribe is fiction - take it as you will..................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're hilarious. I love you! You had me going there for a second. I think it would be awesome if you created another fictional history and just didn't say anything about it being sprouted from your imagination. You're such a star!